The Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) consists of licensed amateurs who have voluntarily registered their qualifications and equipment for communications duty in the public interest when disaster strikes.

Every licensed amateur, regardless of membership in ARRL or any other local or national organization, is eligible for membership in the ARES. The only qualification, other than possession of an Amateur Radio license, is a sincere desire to serve. Because ARES is an amateur service, only amateurs are eligible for membership. The possession of emergency-powered equipment is desirable, but is not a requirement for membership.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who Can Participate?

Any FCC licensed amateur radio operator, consistent with the privileges of your license may participate. You must also pass a criminal background check.

What training do I need to have to get started?

Fill out the application linked below to begin the process.
You will need to pass three on-line ICS classes to start. ICS-100, ICS-200 & ICS-700
You will also need the following Red Cross classes: Basic First Aid & Adult CPR. Contact Clatsop Community College for a schedule of classes available.

What class of amateur radio operator license do I need to get started?

Any class amateur radio license will do. If you do not already have your license, and you desire training, contact our Training Coordinator.

Clatsop Community College periodically offers ham radio training courses.

I want to study for my ham license right away. Where can I obtain a study guide?

A free study guide for the Technician, General and Amateur Extra class license tests is available at ARRL provides a  free download copy of Study Guide for Exam Questions.

Do I need to spend a fortune, or learn Morse code, to get started?

The short answer is no. You can get involved for a very modest investment in equipment and you do not need to learn Morse code. You can learn Morse code if you want to (not required) and like any hobby you can spend a lot of money on it but it is certainly not necessary. We have many members on small budgets that do just fine.

Clatsop County AuxComm Membership Application